Sunday, February 13, 2011

Poor P

We had one of the scariest and most exhausting weeks last week.  Paisley came down with a cold and fever last Saturday night.  I  just thought she had a virus and wasn't that concerned about it.  Stayed up rocking her most Saturday and Sunday night and gave her Tylenol and Motrin for the fever.  I stayed home from school on Monday and went to school on Tuesday because I thought she was doing much better.  But, by Tuesday night I didn't like the way Paisley was acting and her breathing seemed very scary to me.  She moaned a lot and seemed to be sucking in air more than normal.  I knew an ice storm was coming in, so I didn't want to wait to take her to the doctor.  I took her to Acute Kids urgent care and immediately the doctor told me she couldn't treat her there and she needed to go to the emergency room.  She was so concerned that she called EMS from the facility to take us to a nearby hospital.  I was FREAKING out and started to cry.  Fortunately I had my good friend Lindsey with me to calm me down and care for Paisley, while I made lots of calls.  The EMS, took Paisley to a hospital a few minutes down the road, (thats another story, I think she should have gone straight to Children's Medical Center.)  The emergency room that we went to first, started her on fluids right away because she was so dehydrated.  They then tested her for the flu and RSV and took X-Ray's to find out if she had pnemonia.  The test results did come back that she had RSV and pnemonia.  My poor baby!   She was so miserable and it was so hard to see her hurting that badly.  The hospital staff decided she did need to be admitted, but they didn't care for pediatric patients there.  So, she had to be transported to Children's in Plano around 3:00 a.m. that night.  When we got to Children's, they immediatley started her on antibiotics, fluids and began suctioning her.  She was SO congested that they had to get it out of her nose and throat.  That was one of the worst things I had to watch my baby go through.  Although, I could bare it knowing it was good for her.  We stayed at Children's for two and a half days, so Paisley could get better. RSV is a nasty virus that hits between the months of October through March.  It is just a cold virus, but it is really hard on babies under a year old.  Most kids aren't even hospitalized for it, but it got so bad in Paisley that she had to be admitted.  My boys probably brought the nasty virus home from school, since their nose has been running and they have been coughing for weeks!  They are much older and stronger, that they can fight the virus better.  We are now home and trying to recover from our hard week.  I have missed so much work in the last few weeks, that I look forward to getting back to normal.  We have grandparents watching Paisley this week, just to be on the safe side.  I pray we are finished with sickness for awhile!  Like I said in my last blog, BRING ON THE SPRING, (really I am ready for summer!!) :) 








3 comments:

Christy said...

How awful! It brings tears to my eyes reading about what you guys went through!
So glad your sweet girl is getting better!

Anonymous said...

Those pictures made me sad all over again. I'm so glad that the
grandmas up there are able to stay with her a couple of days so she can get stronger. Don't want a relapse. Get better my little P.
Love you Grandma

The Leonard Four said...

OH GOSH, JODI! what a scary experience...glad that she's feeling better!